Skip to main content
Illinois Insurance Pre-Licensing
Currently Selected
Similar Programs
Real Estate Insurance Pre-Licensing Product
Enroll Now, Pay Later.
  • 40 Hour(s) Pre-License Education
Property & Casualty Pre-Licensing & Exam Prep

Be Ahead of Your Class Before the Exam Begins

Looking to start or expand your Illinois insurance career? Our state-approved property and casualty licensing program is perfect for anyone who’s interested in selling homeowners insurance, auto insurance, liability insurance, commercial property insurance, and more. 

  • Engaging and comprehensive training at a comfortable pace.
  • Careful attention to all topics on the state licensing exam outlines.
  • Start-to-finish support to help you prepare with confidence.
  • In-depth review of state-specific content by Illinois insurance producers for Illinois insurance producers.

About This Program

This program includes two courses:

Course 1: Property Insurance: Illinois [20 credit hours] - Day 1 of live instruction plus at-home study

Course 2: Casualty Insurance: Illinois [20 credit hours] - Day 2 of live instruction plus at-home study 

With this program, you will benefit from:

  • Live Training Sessions: Attend two live all-day sessions focused on essential exam topics. You'll enjoy a highly motivating and engaging environment with some of the best instructors in the business.
  • Course Materials: Your digital and hard-copy textbook is included in the program tuition.
  • Exam Prep: The exclusive textbook includes study charts, 150+ practice questions, and a comprehensive glossary to help you prepare for the course and state exams.

Our experienced instructors, class facilitators and customer service representatives set us apart from other education providers.  We are here to help you every step of the way.

Illinois Insurance Pre-Licensing Requirements 

You are required to complete pre-licensing education approved by the Illinois Department of Insurance before taking the state exams. Real Estate Institute's program satisfies all state requirements for property and casualty pre-licensing courses.

  • You must complete at least 20 hours of pre-licensing education for each major type of insurance you wish to sell. In general, these types (known as “lines of authority”) are Life, Accident/Health, Property, and Casualty.
  • For each 20-hour pre-licensing course, at least 7 ½ hours must be completed in a webinar or classroom setting.
  • Licensing candidates must be at least 18 years old and also pass a state licensing exam for each desired line of authority.

Here's what our students are saying...


Real Estate Institute offers insurance education approved by the Illinois Department of Insurance. Approved provider #102877.


  1. This two-course package satisfies the Illinois pre-licensing education requirements for property and casualty insurance (20 hours per course). It is not intended for individuals who wish to sell life insurance or health insurance.
  2. Your tuition includes all course materials, instructor support, a final exam, and a course transcript.
  3. Upon enrollment, you will receive the following:
    • your username and password to access all online course materials
    • immediate online access to course instructions and
    • course textbook (print and online) at no extra charge
Frequently Asked Questions

Learn more about this license type and program:

View FAQs
IL Insurance Pre-license

Who needs an insurance producer license in Illinois?

In general, a person must be licensed as an insurance producer before doing any of the following activities in exchange for compensation:

  • Selling insurance.
  • Encouraging someone to purchase insurance.
  • Negotiating the terms or conditions of an insurance product.
  • Giving advice about insurance products.’

This includes but isn’t limited to people who want to work as insurance agents or insurance brokers.

What are the necessary qualifications to obtain an insurance producer license?

To become licensed as an Illinois insurance producer, a person must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Complete the required pre-license education.
  • Pass the applicable state exams.
  • Pay the applicable licensing fees.
  • Have a level of character acceptable to the Department of Insurance (DOI). 

Are special courses required in order to become an Illinois insurance producer?

Yes. In general, a state-approved 20-hour pre-license course must be completed for EACH major type of insurance (known as a “line of authority”) that a person plans to sell. The four major lines of authority in Illinois include life, health, property and casualty.

Can I complete insurance pre-license courses online or via self-study?

The Illinois Insurance Code requires that at least 7 ½ hours of each 20-hour pre-license course be conducted in an in-person or webinar setting. The remaining 12 ½ hours of each course can be completed in a self-study format.

Are Real Estate Institute’s insurance pre-license courses approved by the Illinois Department of Insurance?

Yes. Our courses are intended to satisfy the state’s pre-license education requirement. Approved provider #102877.

What makes your school different?

Our quality programs, dedicated instructors, and outstanding service are all designed to help you prepare for your new career (and the state licensing exams) with confidence. Our courses were created by and for Illinois insurance producers and pay special attention to topics that are included on the content outlines for the state exams. Whether you’re taking live training or reading from home, our team knows how to communicate the most important information at a comfortable, retainable pace.

What kinds of insurance can I sell if I become a licensed property and casualty insurance producer?

The most common kinds of insurance sold by property and casualty producers include homeowners insurance, commercial property insurance, auto insurance and various forms of liability insurance.

What kinds of insurance can I sell if I become a licensed Life and Health Insurance Producer?

The most common kinds of products sold by life and health producers are life insurance, major medical insurance, disability insurance, long-term care insurance and annuities. 

Does someone need to be sponsored by or work for an insurance company in order to have an insurance producer license?

No. Unlike some other states, Illinois doesn’t make this a requirement for licensure.

Real Estate Institute offers insurance education approved by the Illinois Department of Insurance.
Approved provider #102877.